Thursday, February 15, 2007

First thought/ best thought

I've come to the realization that I'm a terrible rewriter. I can write a song, but then I'm done with it. After receiving comments, rarely do I go back and change anything substantial.

In talking with Ben Senterfit he told me about two 60's Beat poets, Allan Ginsberg and Jack Kerouac. Both were renowned in their time. Kerowac wrote with the philosophy, first thought, best thought. Ginsberg on the other hand was write, rewrite, then rewrite again.

Both worked but for different reasons. The first thought, best thought concept lead to something free and loose, yet still rough around the edges. Very appealing the first time you hear it. The write and rewrite felt more polished, yet something you needed to savor, looking for the deeper messages.

In thinking about this, I'm very much along the lines of first thought, best though (or as my friends might say, first thought, only thought). I could use a cowriter to add that polish.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you ever want to co write some lyrics together let me know. I would enjoy working with you.

ciao!
mark

www.lyrichut.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home