Friday, May 04, 2007

Stuck? Walk away...

I was talking with an artist today. She mentioned that when she got stuck on a painting, she'd often leave it until she felt inspired. Sometimes it would sit for days or weeks. When she finally returned, she felt she came back stronger, more creative. She said that even though she wasn't consciously working on it, her brain was still painting.

I find the same to be true with songwriting. When I write, I often take a break in between verses or whenever the energy starts to ebb. Sometimes I leave a song for minutes, sometimes much longer. I like the concept of my subconscious working on it, when I'm not. I just wish it would worker faster and harder...

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely. Some come all at once, but those are exceptions, in my experience. Other songwriters with whom I've spoken say the same. And, even for the ones that come all at once, after letting them sit for awhile, I've always come back and improved on a word or two, or a line or two.

-Rob Roper

 

Post a Comment

<< Home